Mmmm...Gluten-free Cheesy Bread

Because I am a frugal person, and the stores that regularly (or somewhat regularly) carried one of my favorite gluten-free bread mixes, Chebe, aren't carrying them any longer - I had to take matters into my own hands.

Original Cheese Bread Mix <br />8-pack case <br />7.5 oz. per package
Curtesy of Chebe.com
If you haven't tried Chebe's line of mixes, you should.  My brother sent me a couple of their mixes for bread sticks and cheesy bread back in 2007 when I was in a bit of a gluten-free food desert.  Needless to say, it was really nice to have a mix that was quick and easy, and yummy.

Since then, I've gotten back into my baking habits and since I couldn't find Chebe products in any of my tried and true local stores, I took to Google.  I already knew that this type of recipe, using tapioca starch, was already a mainstay in Brazil.  In my search, I learned that the bread is called Pao de Queijo.  There's a very nice looking recipe over at thekitchn.com (one of my favorite recipe sites), but it's pretty involved and I'm usually doing 8 other things at once and haven't had time to try it.  Then I found a recipe that I've been slowly tweaking over the past few months.  My kids love this recipe, and it makes a good snack or compliment for soups.

Gluten-Free Cheesy Bread
(Adapted from Simply Recipes)

Yield: 24 mini-muffin-sized rolls
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour)
1/4 c. potato starch (not potato flour)
1/3 c. olive oil
1/2 c. milk (or milk substitute, I use almond milk)
1 t. salt (or more to taste)
2 eggs
1/2 c. (packed) parmesan cheese (or you can use any fresh cheese, shredded)

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a mini muffin tin (two 12 or one 24 count). Combine ingredients in one bowl and mix with a fork or a whisk (no blender or other equipment needed).  **If planning ahead, you could store the batter in the refrigerator for up to a week**
Bake cheesy bread for 15-20 minutes, until puffed up and slightly brown.
Eat warm or save to reheat later.

Yummy GF Cheesy Bread fresh from the oven
One thing to know before you pull your muffin tins from the oven: They will not look perfect (they may pop out of the tin slightly askew).  Also, this type of cheesy bread is very chewy, which is the result of the tapioca starch.  I add some potato starch (you could always add corn starch if you don't have potato) to cut down on the chewiness a bit.  The outside of the rolls are slightly crispy and the inside warm and chewy.  It's pretty certain that you wont have any left by the end of the day :)

Happy gluten-free eating!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Budding Yogi

Enchilada Casserole, Slow-cooker style

Yoga: 30-Day Challenge!